Who doesn’t love a three day weekend? A chance to relax and recharge! Whatever. Mister, Mini-SD, and I took advantage of this past long weekend and trekked to the frozen tundra of… Pittsburgh. Why the hell would we trek to Pittsburgh in f-ing January, you may be asking? Well, my lady soul mate and her family happen to live there and it had been much too long for my liking since we had seen each other, so there you go. What we love about this couple (We will call them the “Yinzers”) is that they are TOTALLY PLU. (PLU=People Like Us). They have 2 adorable boys and are pretty laid back, much like the Mister and I. We’ve been friends with them for many years now and met before kids. Back when our only concerns were who was going to be the sober-ish one to drive us home after we closed down the bar or if we ordered our bad pizza in time before they closed down at 2 AM. Now we have fun watching our kids run around and act a fool while the mommies count the hours until bedtime. (Not really. But kinda).
The drawback about not getting to see the Yinzers very often is that when we do, once the kids go to bed, we act like we’re still in our 20’s with no responsibilities or small humans demanding our attention at the ass-crack of dawn. Which is exactly what happened last weekend. Going to bed after 2 AM is the MOST ridiculous idea when I am sharing a room with mini-SD in a pack n play (possibly child abuse, considering how big she is, but she’s fine so quit judging). In fact, she was SO fine in the pack n play that when I awoke at 9 AM, I actually dashed out of bed because I thought she must have suffocated in her sleep. Girlfriend wakes up at 7 AM like clockwork. Usually by 9:00, she is asking mommy for “Sumpin’ else to eat” for the 20th time. Once I was awake and vertical, I realized that 1-I was probably still drunk and 2-I sort of wanted to kill myself. Luckily, relief came in the form of carbs and fat and more carbs. Lots and lots of carbs. I think I ate and drank every carb in Pittsburg. It started with two slices of leftover pizza and finished that night with a burger called “Fire In The Hole” (don’t even), a mound of French fries and several more beverages. Luckily this magical, healthy formula did the trick and I was feeling like a new woman enough to stay up until midnight the second night. Who do I think I am, Lindsey Lohan?!
Anyway, it was understandably a Herculean feat to get out of bed and endure Jillian this morning, but I did it because I thought my body would go into full shutdown mode if I didn’t do SOMETHING slightly healthy for it.
In the end, it was totally worth the damage inflicted for the fun we had. Special guest appearances by my old college besties made the weekend really special and I am looking forward to the next round of damage with the Yinzers. Love you guys!
Xoxo,
SD
Hilarious side note: Mini SD had tons of fun telling her grandmother about her weekend this morning. I had tons of fun watching Grandmas face as Mini told her about the “crazy naked boys party” we had. (The kids ran around naked before bedtime on Sunday night. HILARIOUS and cute).
Found your blog through Jen and peopleiwanttopunchinthethroat AND you are hilarious! Thanks for the laughs girl.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I checked out your blog too. 3 1/2 year old twin boys? I have no words. :)
ReplyDeleteWe went to Pittsburgh for New Years. Who goes to the Burgh in the middle of January? People who live in Milwaukee. We want better weather. :)
ReplyDeleteHA! I guess if I lived in Milwaukee, Pittsburgh might not be such a bad option either! So you also know that the only viable option for entertainment in Pittburgh in January is to drink your face off!?
ReplyDelete