I have a confession to make. I really, really like Taylor Swift. Well, actually, I really, really like her music. Sometimes I find her personality and crazy hair whipping moves to be too reminiscent of that annoying drama/angst girl from high school that we all knew that I can't take it, but I think her lyrics are really smart and clever. And I am a complete sucker for good lyrics. Most of my friends know that I usually have music playing in the background whenever possible and my closest friends know that I also usually have some song (or two or three) that serve as my "theme song" for periods of my life. Seriously-even in a boring week, I will have at least one song that serves as my personal soundtrack for a while until I find a new one. So weird, right? It's fine, I know it's weird, but I have been this way for as long as I can remember. Even when it was just me and my Smurfette record player, I had songs that I thought of as "mine". Thank God my mom and I didn't realize what Cyndi Lauper's "She-Bop" was actually about in 1984 because that one had staying power for a few months! As did "Cool Rider" from Grease 2. Don't even try to judge about that one because that song was AWESOME and the dance routine I made up to go along with it was even more fierce. For a 6 year old.
One thing I can appreciate about Taylor is that she just sings shit about her exes without giving a damn. And I (being the gossip slut that I am) always try to figure out who she is talking about based on her lyrics. Because seriously-how awesome would it be to sell a million records about some prick who hurt your feelings like she does? In truth, I'm pretty lucky because I haven't usually been on the recieving end of a sad heart and would feel pretty sheepish if someone had a hit record about what a cold-hearted bitch I was to them, but as a voyeur? Love it. Her new album, Red, was just released and of course I want to be a musical Inspector Gadget on the case, because she sounds really pissed this time around. If I had to guess, I would say that Jake Gyllenhaal won't be on Taylor's Christmas card list, but I think she's also dated some randos since the last album so who knows?
Anyway, another thing I love is discovering new-to-me songs. This is a song that has been out for a while, but I didn't know it existed until somehow I stumble upon it (Thank you, Spotify!) and can't believe I've survived without it. I've mentioned my love of new music Tuesdays on iTunes before, but lately, nothing has been getting me excited that is "new". But thanks to Spotify, I've been hooked on a lovely, slow Regina Spektor song that came out ages ago and have a new addiction to Joshua Radin. (I'm also a sucker for singer/songwriters). Expressing my own emotions in a normal way through verbal communications is totally uncomfortable and out of my box, but I could make a playlist for you and you would GET. IT. (sounds very reminicent of Mary Catherine Gallagher, right? Classic Molly Shannon SNL character? "My emotions would best be expressed with a monologue from the classic made-for-tv movie, "Not Without My Daughter.")
For this reason, every time I see that commercial for the new cell phone (don't ask me what kind, because I don't remember. It's the commercial where they make fun of people standing in line for iPhones) where people touch phones and trade playlists, I am tempted to get it. I would be the sluttiest phone bumper, playlist sharer that there ever was. I would totally try to rub my phone up against strangers phones to get their tunes. It would be so awkward. But I would do it for the joyful surprise of new music. Yes, I would.
Awwwwkwaaard,
SD
PS-Hey, Slizzard! I can already hear you saying, "Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you?!" as I type this post, but I know you are laughing your ass off because it's all true....

No comments:
Post a Comment